Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Life in the fast lane, waiting for the interchange!


It is hard to believe how quickly time passes when your life is going full throttle. All of last week was spent working on the food for our annual Oscars Party fundraiser for Relay for Life, as well as all of the other things that are part of my normal week. Ok, I did leave out that on top of my anniversary, valentines day and my husbands birthday, I also turned another year older! Yeah!?
With everything that we have been undertaking, I found little time to sit at the computer and write anything but I did have time to reflect and discover a few things about myself, my family and what motivates me. One thing that I did discover that doing things for a cause really motivates me when most things like housecleaning, dishes, laundry, the list could go on, I find very difficult to really motivate me to movement. But if there is something that takes me out of the normal everyday living mode I am all over it!
Which would explain why I can't seem to say no when asked to get involved with things! I am a doer, and a fixer. (How many find that a surprise if you read anything I have written :) So of course I am all for doing things that might fix, help or give comfort to others. My faith of course has given me so much, comfort, guidance, unconditional love, and direction that I love to share my love of God with others. That is one reason why I am so active in my church, because I want to do what I feel God is leading me to do and to share his love with those so that they might experience all the wonders that I have found in Christ also. The Youth in our church is a great place to do that, they have so many distractions, counter influences and issues that cause such confusion in their lives. If they are vulnerable, having been hurt, abandoned or abused they are ripe for all kinds of things that will potentially harm them, or destroy their future. I would like to think that we are that little beacon of light that will hopefully steer them away from the rocks and stay on course to a victorious life. Our desire is to see these teens see what God has for them, the blessings and their future full of life and bringing that life to others! So this is one of my biggest motivators right now until my Son graduates and steps into the role of Youth Pastor and we move onto something different.
That was the unsettling thing for me this week to think about. For most of my adult life, my kids, my husband and the youth of the church has been my main motivator. I have lived my whole life for the children who have come through it. Suddenly, I am seeing an end (in a sense) to this part of my life and it is a bit scary. It has always been a no brainier for me, kids + Andrew and Shelly = ministry and life. I will still have the children in my home but I know that Andrew and I are being led into a different direction now but I am not sure exactly what it is going to be. What is going to be that motivator that gets me up and moving, looking forward to and the passion that I seem to really need in my life? I don't quite know but I do know that I am surely not done living and that anytime we begin to move into a new season of our lives, it is always a little unsettling and frightening. I guess that is why they call it faith! Because faith is believing in something that you can't see or feel necessarily but believing that it is truth and taking that big step without looking back and keeping our eyes on God. He has always been faithful to see me through all of life's changes and bring blessings to all situations.
It will be a few more months before all of the changes begin, and I am believing that God is going to revel to me those things that he has for me to do. But, in the meantime I will keep moving forward, working with the young people of our community and doing all the things that I do in my day to help my own children be successful and productive members of society. I am also going to start trying to carve a little more time to do the little things that bring me such pleasure, read a good book, write in my blog and keep putting together the little pieces that will someday make a beautiful piece of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment