Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's a dog's life



Ok this won't be a long post! I know if my son is reading this he will laugh uncontrollably because he doesn't think I can ever write anything short!
My family is pet crazy, and one step across the threshold of my house clues you into that! If you can make it in the door without being barked to death than you have to avoid the two cats that will lick you to death if you sit in "their" seat. The ferrets are usually not a problem since they live in a big cage in our daughter Kaleigh's room but when they are running around socializing you have to hide your shoes or socks since they appreciate fine (or not so fine) foot ware and will steal it right from your feet. Oh did I mention the hamster that rolls around in his little blue ball and likes to run right in front of you when you are walking? I don't think I have forgotten anyone but than again, it tends to be hard to keep up with all the critters that inhabit my home.
I have always had a fondness for pets, so normally they don't irritate me too much but today I am stalking with hopes of causing at least a little misery, my brat dog Casanova. Nova is a big yellow lab, that was suppose to be a medium sized dog but turned into 75 lbs of unruly fur and slobber. Most of the time he is pretty good. Although as a puppy he reminded me very much of Marley. He does have some bad habits, such as getting into the trash when we aren't looking and eating things that he is not suppose to have. The big lug has stomach issues, which after about $700 later and lots of clean up in more ways than one we finally discovered. He is on a special (i.e. expensive) diet that consists of this boring, no flavor dog food that costs us $50 every three weeks. He is not allowed table scraps or anything that is not flavorless. Now, we all know this but obviously Nova did not read the Doctor's orders and as any typical teenager tuned out the sage advise of his Vet. He does not like his boring food and prefers that delectable goodies that are produced in our kitchen. One day we left him to guard hearth and home while we went to the store. When we came home Nova greeted us at the door proud of his abilities to stop evil that tries to harm us. Expecting to find remains of the thief that dared to break into our home, we were surprised to find only the remains of the Chocolate birthday cake that Nova bravely wrestled to the ground. We waited for imminent death that is suppose to happen when dogs eat copious amounts of chocolate but fortunately, or unfortunately for him he survived and than was literally sent to the dog house to contemplate his crime. We have since (ok it happened several times again) learned to place things on counters at a higher level or place them far back out of his reach.
Which brings me to the rest of the story, Yesterday was fat Tuesday and in honor of the day and because we were waxing nostalgic about fat Tuesdays of yore the kids and I decided to make pazcki's. For those who don't know what a pazcki is, it is a deep fried bundle of joy filled with custards and curds that taste like something sent down from heaven. It is a polish treat that is only made in the few weeks before ash Wednesday. I am not catholic so I don't understand everything but I do know that Hamtramic MI produced some of the best Pazcki's I have ever eaten. Ok, they were the only ones I have ever eaten but they were really good. So we spent all day yesterday creating the delicious dough and letting it rise 4 times! It was truly an all day ordeal, we had to hand fill each little rolled out ball of dough and than fry them until they were a golden brown. By this time it was almost 9 pm so everyone was able to enjoy 1 Pazcki each and the rest (22 of them) were placed lovingly on a platter and set up on a box high on the counter out of reach of any predators.
All of us went to bed with visions of pazcki's dancing through our heads. We had tasted heaven and couldn't wait to enjoy breakfast and another taste of a truly luscious treat. Andrew had taken off the morning to take the kids on a field trip, but had left briefly to take Kaleigh to work at 7 am. When I came downstairs at 8 am I was shocked to see the tray of my beloved Pazcki's void of all but one. I frantically called upstairs, and asked my husband if he had felt the need to binge on Pazcki's but he said no he had one as he left and Kaleigh had not had any. I turned and saw this very large yellow fur ball slinking away, trying to run up the stairs followed by a smaller version of brown, leggy lab Java. Apparently, feeling deprived Nova decided to find a way to climb up on the counter, somehow conquer the mountain and obtain the prize 20 Pazcki's. His guilt and inability to control his now sick bowels gave him away.
He is now banished outside to his kennel where is stomach is roiling and he tail is freezing but hopefully he will have learned his lesson, no bad deed goes unrewarded. It made me laugh, after I got done being mad at him and realized this was a lesson for us all to learn and one I am sharing with my children who are still trying to figure it all out. There are things in life that look really good, sound good and fill us with a burning desire to have, even when we know that it might not be so good for us. Life is full of temptations and desires but the reality is no matter how great they look they aren't always that good for us. Thankfully God provides us with outs when temptation rears its ugly head but when our flesh takes over the consequences can be hard and sometimes difficult to reverse. Nova is learning that right now, he and all of us will be spending the next few days living with the consequences of his actions and I am pretty sure none of us will be having a whole lot of fun. But life is about lessons, and learning so hopefully we have gained a little more knowledge and Nova has learned his lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment